I have not been a big soup person over the years. However, lately I have been enjoying them during these cold evenings. A small cup of soup is enough for me, although a bowl and some crusty bread is a meal for the family. This Potato and Leek Soup is a delicious winter soup and easy weeknight meal.
I made our soup in the Thermomix this time, but have made it in the past with the regular recipe below.
Potato and Leek Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 20g butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 leeks, white section, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1kg desiree potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1L chicken stock
- 750ml water
- 375g evaporated milk
- Heat oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add leek, onion and garlic to pan, and stir for 10 minutes or until softened.
- Add potato, stock and water and cover pan. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and cook partially covered for a further 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Use a stick blender to blend mixture in saucepan until smooth.
- Return back to medium-low heat, add in milk and stir for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife
click on image to view recipe