These cinnamon scrolls are absolutely delicious. I have made them countless times now and everybody gets excited when they smell them cooking in the oven. These are my typical rainy day morning tea, served with a hot cuppa or hot chocolate, you can’t go wrong! My kids said they tasted the same as donuts and the glaze over the top makes them so delightful.
They are very easy to make and not time-consuming at all as the dough doesn’t include yeast so you don’t have to wait for it to prove. Roll the dough into a 20cm x 30cm rectangle.
Brush dough with melted butter.
Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
Roll from longest side into a log. I use a lettuce knife I found years ago at Myer to slice my dough. This knife is plastic, slices well through the dough, not squishing it and it won’t cut my silicon mat I use on my bench.
Place each slice into a lined baking dish, flatten slightly and bake.
Drizzle over the icing, these are best served warm.
The Most Delicious Cinnamon Scrolls
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups thickened cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- Add the cream and stir until just combined.
- Lightly flour bench space.
- Knead dough on floured surface until smooth (approx 30 seconds).
- Roll the dough into a 20cm x 30cm rectangle.
- Combine brown sugar and cinnamon
intoa small bowl.
- Brush dough with melted butter.
- Sprinkle the sugar mixture evenly over dough.
- Roll from longest side to form a scroll.
- Cut into 8 equal slices.
- Place each slice into a baking dish, flatten slightly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
- Place on wire rack while you are making the icing.
- In a small bowl whisk the icing sugar and milk.
- Pour the icing over the scrolls.
- Serve warm.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife
This post was originally published on March 2nd 2013, it has recently been updated with new images.