A family friendly chicken gnocchi soup recipe that will warm the body, soothe the soul, and chase away any pesky winter germs.
Chicken soup is my go to for flu season! It’s pretty quick to make (in fact I often have extra frozen for times like these), is easy on sore throats, and is gentle on sensitive stomachs too.
This Chicken Gnocchi Soup recipe is a lovely creamy dish, and the ultimate comfort food that packs a punch in the nutrient department.
I use celery, carrots, onions, and baby spinach in my soup, but you could easily add extra vegetables to suit your own tastes.
Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500g chicken breasts, diced into small pieces
- 2 cups milk
- 1 3/4 cups thickened cream
- 80g butter
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 500g potato gnocchi
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley, chopped
- Parmesan cheese, grated, to serve
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook chicken for 5-8 minutes or until browned and cooked through. Set aside.
- In a jug pour in milk and cream. Stir and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, carrot and garlic. Cook until onion is soft.
- Add flour and stir to coat vegetables. Cook for 1 minute then remove from heat.
- Gradually pour in milk mix. Whisk continuously until mixture is smooth.
- Return saucepan to medium-high heat and bring to the boil. Stir consistently for 5-10 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Add chicken and stock. Stir and bring to the boil.
- Add gnocchi, spinach, thyme and parsley to saucepan. Toss to coat.
- Simmer over low heat until gnocchi is cooked.
- Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THIS RECIPE! – If you’ve tried this Chicken Gnocchi Soup recipe, please leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my newsletters with latest recipes or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.