This Chicken and Pumpkin Coconut Curry was so super delicious and creamy, with the bonus of being healthy too!! By having to puree and roast the pumpkin it does take a little time – but it’s so worth it.
You could also add additional vegetables like cauliflower, carrots or broccoli for additional nutrients.
Chicken and Pumpkin Coconut Curry
1 hour 30 mins
- 4 cups pumpkin, peeled and diced
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 500g chicken breast, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tomatoes, diced into small pieces
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 pinch cayenne powder
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- rice, cooked, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, add 2 cups pumpkin to the boiling water and cook for about 25 minutes or until the flesh is tender when pierced with a knife. Allow
to coolslightly. Puree the pumpkin in a food processor or mash by hand.
- Place 2 cups pumpkin onto a large baking tray lined with baking paper, toss in 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake pumpkin in oven for 30 minutes or until golden, allow
slightly. to cool
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large frying pan, over high heat. Add chicken and cook until golden. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Reduce heat on frying pan to medium-high and add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add onion and ginger. Cook for 2-3 minutes until onion is soft.
- Add garlic, curry and cayenne powder, continue cooking for a further minute.
- Add tomatoes and pumpkin puree to frypan and stir through. Continue cooking for 8-10 minutes, until puree slightly changes colour.
- Pour in stock and coconut milk over mixture, mix through to combine.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce temperature and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken and roasted pumpkin to
mixtureand gently stir through, simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir through lime juice and parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with rice.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife
MORE PUMPKIN RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY…
CHICKEN PUMPKIN TORTILLA BAKE – This Mexican Chicken Pumpkin Tortilla Bake is similar to lasagna but uses tortillas instead of pasta. It’s super easy to make and assemble, and tastes delicious! Serve with a side of salad for a complete meal.
PUMPKIN, BACON AND FETA FRITTATA – Looking for a light dinner idea to add alongside an easy salad? You’ll enjoy this Pumpkin, Bacon and Feta Frittata. It’s fuss-free and takes little effort to make. I was hoping that there was going to be leftovers for lunch the next day, but my family absolutely loved it and didn’t leave any behind.
CREAMY CHICKEN AND PUMPKIN PASTA – This Creamy Chicken and Pumpkin Pasta is delicious. There are a few steps to make this recipe.