A delicious Mexican inspired chicken and pumpkin tortilla bake recipe, that’s an absolute hit in my house – in fact it’s one of my hubby’s favourite meals!
I had a complete blank recently when I was trying to think of what my husband’s favourite dinner is. He just generally loves anything I cook; lasagna, roasts, anything Mexican or with pasta. I finally remembered I made this Chicken Pumpkin Tortilla Bake a while back and he said it’s up there as one of his favourite dinners. I decided to make it for his birthday dinner and this reminded me that I hadn’t shared it on the blog!
This is a super easy dinner to make, you simply mix most of the ingredients in one pan on the stovetop until the pumpkin is soft.
Then stir through the chicken, I used a BBQ Chook, however you can poach and shred your own chicken to save a few dollars. I describe this bake much like a lasagna, but instead of pasta, you use tortillas. It’s super easy to make and assemble, and tastes delicious!
Instead of white sauce, you use enchilada sauce. Layer and repeat! Topping with cheese and baking in the oven until golden.
I serve this Chicken Pumpkin Tortilla Bake with a simple salad and some garlic bread.
This is a great dinner to make ahead of time so you are prepared on a busy school night. If you’d like more convenient and hearty dinner ideas, be sure to check out my new cookbook!
Chicken Pumpkin Tortilla Bake
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 30g taco seasoning
- 1/2 butternut pumpkin, peeled and diced into 1cm pieces
- 400g black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 1/2 cups mild salsa
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 BBQ chicken, shredded
- 375g enchilada sauce
- 4 tortillas
- 2 cups Mexican cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Spring onions, finely sliced for garnish
- Sour cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C, fan forced.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook onion and garlic for 3 minutes or until browned.
- Sprinkle in taco seasoning, mix to combine and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Add pumpkin, beans, corn, salsa and water. Stir to combine.
- Simmer for 25-30 minutes or until pumpkin is soft.
- Add chicken and season with salt and pepper. Gently toss to stir through. Take off heat.
- Spread 4 tablespoons of enchilada sauce over the base of a 18-cup (4L) oven-proof dish.
- Lay 2 tortillas over the sauce so they touch the ends of the dish. It’s fine if they overlap in the middle.
- Spread half the chicken filling over the tortillas.
- Pour half the remaining enchilada sauce over the chicken filling and sprinkle with half the cheese. Repeat the layers: tortilla, chicken filling, sauce, cheese.
- Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes or until golden.
- Serve sprinkled with spring onions and a dollop of sour cream.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THIS RECIPE! – If you’ve tried this Chicken Pumpkin Tortilla Bake recipe, please leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my newsletters with the latest recipes or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.