I had a complete blank recently when I was trying to think of what my husbands favourite dinner is. He just generally loves anything I cook; lasagna, roasts, anything Mexican or with pasta. I finally remembered I made this Chicken Pumpkin Tortilla Bake a while back and he said it’s up there in his favourite dinners list, so I made it for his birthday dinner last week. Which also reminded me that I hadn’t shared it on the blog, although it is one of the recipes I have in my 2018 calendar.
Chicken Pumpkin Tortilla Bake Recipe
It’s super easy to make, you simply mix most of the ingredients in one pan on the stovetop until the pumpkin is soft.
Then stir through the chicken, I used a BBQ Chook, however you can poach and shred your own chicken to save a few dollars. I describe this bake much like a lasagna, but instead of pasta, you use tortillas.
And instead of white sauce, you use enchilada sauce. Layer and repeat! Topping with cheese and baking in the oven until golden.
I serve this Chicken Pumpkin Tortilla Bake with a simple salad and some garlic bread.
Chicken Pumpkin Tortilla Bake
1 hour 20 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 30g taco seasoning
- 1/2 butternut pumpkin, peeled and diced into 1cm pieces
- 400g black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 1 1/2 cups mild salsa
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 BBQ chicken, shredded
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 375g enchilada sauce
- 4 tortillas
- 2 cups Mexican cheese, shredded
- Spring onions, finely sliced for garnish
- Sour cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C, fan forced.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook onions and garlic for 3 minutes or until browned.
- Sprinkle in taco seasoning, mix to combine and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Add pumpkin, beans, corn, salsa and water, stir to combine.
- Simmer for 25-30 minutes or until pumpkin is soft.
- Add chicken, season with salt and pepper, gently toss to stir through.
- Spread 4 tablespoons of enchilada sauce over the base of a 4L capacity baking dish.
- Lay 2 tortillas over the sauce so they touch the ends of the dish, it’s fine if they overlap in the middle.
- Spread half the chicken filling over the tortillas.
- Pour half the remaining enchilada sauce over the chicken filling and sprinkle with half the cheese. Repeat the layers: tortilla, chicken filling, sauce, cheese.
- Bake pasta bake in oven for 30-40 minutes or until golden.
- Serve sprinkled with spring onions and a dollop of sour cream.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife