Do you have old fabric stashed away? Have you thought “I will use it one day”, but never have. Yes this is me…I have a container full of fabrics purchased with great intentions, some I have had since high school home ec. classes and some inherited from my grandmother. I haven’t completed this challenge yet, however I plan on doing so. I have loved googling for ideas on how to use unwanted fabric, I’m inspired to make something…mmm but what?
- Sort through your stash of fabrics
- Create three piles – 1.definitely won’t use 2. designated project 3. like but don’t know what to make pile
- Dispose of your ‘definitely won’t use pile’, see ideas below.
- Put all designated projects on your to-do list, hopefully this will prevent your fabrics for sitting there for another 12 months and tomorrow’s post.
- Make something using your ‘like but don’t know what to do with’ fabric, see idea’s below.
Definitely won’t use pile:
- Donate to charity
- Donate to a charity, project specific to making clothes or quilts
- Donate to a nursing home
- Donate to local school or kindy
- or use as gift wrap
Like but don’t know what to do with fabric:
Make one of the following for yourself or as a gift for grandparents, teachers, neighbours or friends.
Cover a notebook – buy a hardcover notebook, cover book just like using contact paper, however use good quality craft glue to stick down edges. To hide the material edge and give it a neat appearance, cut out 2 pieces of cardboard slightly smaller than the size of the cover. Cover each piece with same material, glue pieces to back of front and back cover. Add a nice pen and you have just made a gorgeous little Christmas gift.
Pin cushion – Instructions HERE at Paper.String.Cloth
Christmas Trees to decorate your house – Instructions HERE at Jolly allsorts
Camera case -Instructions HERE from Sew Mama Sew
Glasses case – Instructions HERE at Amazing Mae
Canvas Wall Art – Use a gorgeous bit of fabric to cover a canvas. Great YouTube video HERE
Heat Pack – Instructions HERE from Livestrong.com
Bookmark – Instructions HERE from 7 Layer Studio