An easy and delicious Homemade Beef & Vegetable Sausage Roll recipe that is packed with veggies, and perfect for both dinners and school lunches too!
Friday night dinners in our home typically mean something fun like pizza, Mexican, or pasta, however it’s usually no side servings of vegetables… but that doesn’t mean no veg! My Homemade Beef and Vegetable Sausage Rolls are packed full of veggies, and the kids absolutely love them!
You can grate and finely dice the vegetables in the recipe, however I put mine in the Thermomix (you could also use a food processor) and blitz for a few seconds.
I then place all ingredients into a bowl. I put eggs in and give them a little whisk before mixing all ingredients together with my hands.
Pastry sheets can then be cut in half to make 2 long rolls per sheet, with the mixture divided evenly into 12 portions. I then shape each portion into long logs, and place two portions on each pastry sheet.
Brush one whisked egg onto the edge of the pastry sheets to help them stick together after rolling.
Roll pastry over sausage mixture and slice into six even portions. Egg wash the top.
Sprinkle your sausage rolls with sesame seeds.
Then bake them in the oven until brown and cooked through.
When we have my homemade sausage rolls I always make a double batch then freeze some, this means I can easily pop them in the oven one night before school and give the kiddies something different for their school lunch.
Homemade Beef & Vegetable Sausage Rolls
- 6 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 3 slices bread
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 carrot, peeled & roughly chopped
- 1 zucchini
- 1 capsicum
- 1 bunch parsley
- 500g beef mince
- 500g sausage mince
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg, extra for wash
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 180C, fan forced.
- Line 2 baking trays with baking paper, or use a silicone baking tray.
- Put bread in a food processor, blitz for a few seconds to create bread crumbs, pour into large bowl.
- Add onion, garlic, carrot, zucchini, capsicum and parsley into food processor, blitz for a few seconds until finely chopped.
- Add beef mince, sausage mince, vegetables, tomato paste, BBQ sauce, eggs, salt and pepper into bowl with breadcrumbs.
- Using clean hands mix all ingredients thoroughly, divide into 12 even portions.
- Place each portion in log shape onto pastry sheets, making 2 logs per pastry sheet. Slice each pastry sheet in half.
- Whisk one egg in small bowl, brush onto edges of pastry sheet.
- Roll pastry sheet tightly over each potion and seal.
- Cut each roll into 6 even pieces, place onto baking tray.
- Brush each roll with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Rest on tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely, or serve warm.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife
RECOMMENDED TOOLS TO MAKE BEEF & VEGETABLE SAUSAGE ROLLS
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THIS RECIPE! – If you’ve tried this Beef and Vegetable Sausage Rolls recipe, please leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my newsletters with the latest recipes or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
WHAT SNACKS DO YOU ADD TO YOUR CHILD’S SCHOOL LUNCHBOX?
Pin this image below to Pinterest!