Semifreddo is Italian for “half-cold”, the main ingredients are eggs, sugar and cream with a texture similar to frozen mousse. But this recipe below is one step easier, using cream coupled with condensed milk. If you’re among the many who haven’t yet got around to investing in an ice-cream machine, the great thing about a semifreddo is that it resembles ice cream but requires no churning. All the mixing and a bit of aeration happens prior to freezing. The resulting texture is something like a frozen mousse. Cut into slices, it presents beautifully, a dessert fit for the most elegant of tables.
Start this dessert the day before you plan to serve it, as well as allowing time for freezing it will give you some space to practice perfecting the accompanying tuiles. The semifreddo can be sliced, and placed between the wafers, or scooped, or presented any way you like.
- 300ml pure cream
- 300g frozen raspberries
- 30g white sugar
- 180g sweetened condensed milk
- 1 or 2 punnets fresh raspberries
- icing sugar, to dust
- Select a deep rectangular 1L container, something like a lunchbox or small loaf tin, and lightly oil the inside. The semifreddo will later be unmoulded and sliced.
- Pour the cream into a measuring jug.
- Weigh the frozen berries and sugar into the Thermomix bowl and blend 10 seconds / speed 9.
- Add the condensed milk and a dash of the cream to loosen the mixture and blend 5 seconds / speed 9.
- Insert the butterfly. Add the remaining cream and mix 20 seconds / speed 4.
- Scrape down the bowl and mix a further 5 seconds / speed 4.
- Turn the mixture into the prepared container and freeze overnight.
- Scoop from the container, or to be more dramatic,
unmouldthe semifreddo and cut into 6-8 slices with a warm knife, placing the slices straight onto a plate.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes or so to soften slightly then serve with fresh raspberries and dusted with icing sugar.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife
This recipe is an excerpt from Tmix+ Issue 2 Summer/Autumn 2016 cookbook.
TMIX+ ISSUE 2 SUMMER/AUTUMN 2016 MAGAZINE – the first magazine created for users of the Thermomix in Australia. It connects the Thermomix community, a passionate group of people who love to cook with, talk about and engage with their Thermomix on a daily basis, through warm, honest and inspiring content.