I’m a big fan of The Block, I have been watching it since Season 1 when Jamie Durie was the host and also watched the season my lovely blogging pal Katrina Chambers and her sister Amie were on the show. The contestants had a cook off and Katrina and Amie won by cooking their mums Chicken and Corn Chowder.
I made their Chicken and Corn Chowder the day after I saw it on the show, have adapted the recipe and now it’s one of my go-to chicken soup recipes each winter ever since. I tweaked the recipe ever so slightly by adding in some garlic. It’s a scrumptious thick and chunky soup, which fills up those hungry bellies a little more than a pureed type of soup.
Chicken and Corn Chowder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 4 rashers bacon, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 potato, small cubes
- 420g corn kernels (do not drain)
- 420g condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups milk
- 1 BBQ chicken
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook onion, garlic and bacon for 3-5 minutes or until browned.
- Add carrots, celery, potato, corn, soup, and milk, stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to low and continue to cook, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, shred the BBQ chicken.
- Add chicken to the soup, stir and continue to cook, covered, for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife
This recipe was originally posted on 2nd August 2011.