I saw this Zucchini and Sweet Potato Slice recipe pop up on taste.com.au and really wanted to try it. I love making zucchini slice and use my own recipe often for lunches, adding in whatever vegetables I have in the fridge at the time, I’ve made it at times with pumpkin, but never sweet potato.
This zucchini and sweet potato slice was a really lovely light meal, perfect for those very hot days to serve cold with salad.
Zucchini and sweet potato slice
I changed the recipe ever so slightly, I used 6 eggs (I didn’t want to waste 2 egg yolks, I know it’s probably healthier with less yolks) and added in some bacon as I had some that needed using up in the fridge. After trying the recipe it was slightly bland, I feel it needed seasoning, so will add salt and pepper and extra garlic next time. I will also add a handful of feta just a bit of needed cheesy zing.
Fry onion and bacon until soft and browned.
Grate sweet potato and add it to frypan for a few minutes to soften.
Whisk eggs and flour until smooth, then add ricotto, mix until combined.
Remove sweet potato mix from heat to cool slightly.
Grate zucchini, then add it along with the sweet potato mix to the egg mixture.
Line a slice pan with baking paper, to prevent the slice from sticking to the pan.
Pour mixture into pan and bake for 30 minutes.
Spray some truss cherry tomatoes with oil and bake in oven for final 10 minutes.
Allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
Serve with salad greens and roasted tomatoes.
As I mentioned above, this was a little bland, but add in some salt and pepper, extra garlic and some fetta and it would be so much better,
Zucchini and sweet potato slice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 4 slices shortcut bacon, finely chopped
- 300g sweet potato, peeled, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup ricotta
- 250g zucchini, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 85g fetta, thinly sliced, optional
- Salt and pepper to season
- 240g cherry truss tomatoes
- salad greens, to serve
- Balsamic vinegar, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Grease and line a 26 x 16cm slice pan.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat.
- Fry onion and bacon for 3 minutes, or until soft and browned.
- Add sweet potato to pan, stir for 3-4 minutes to softened.
- Stir through garlic for 1 minute.
- Remove sweet potato mix from heat to cool slightly.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs and flour, then add in ricotta, whisking until just combined.
- Add zucchini, chives, sweet potato mix, fetta and salt and pepper to egg mixture, stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, place the tomatoes on a baking tray. Spray with oil.
- Roast tomatoes in the oven for the final 10 minutes of slice cooking, or until just soft.
- Allow slice to cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve slice with tomatoes and salad.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife
What vegetables do you like in your zucchini slice?
7 THINGS I DO EACH DAY TO KEEP THE HOME CLEAN AND ORGANISED
Subscribe to my weekly newsletter to receive blog updates in our inbox + this FREE eBook sharing some of my top tips that you can adapt in your own home.