This post is sponsored by Praise
Christmas is that wonderful time of year that we catch up with friends for pre-Christmas celebrations and with our family as we also have quite a few birthdays between now and the new year. When invited over to these celebrations we always ask if we can ‘bring a plate’, either snacks or something to help towards dinner. This helps the host or hostess as it’s one less thing they have to prepare and also helps to keep the cost of food down for them.
Here are some suggestions on what you can bring when asked to ‘bring a plate’:
Mini Quiches – view recipe here
Sausage Rolls – view recipe here
Devilled Eggs – A favourite at many of our gatherings is the good ole faithful devilled eggs, this very retro dish will never tire. It’s a great snack that is easily picked up and eaten with one hand, or great to have on a buffet table to serve up for dinner.
Using only 4 ingredients, this recipe won’t take very long to make and is budget friendly. I have used Praise Real Whole Egg Mayonnaise, giving the eggs a creamy delicious taste, making ordinary boiled eggs pop with flavour. Praise Real Whole Egg Mayonnaise is made locally and uses fresh Australian whole eggs unlike some other brands that use powdered eggs.
Peel and slice eggs in half – I find it easiest to peel the eggs when they are still warm
Use a teaspoon to remove egg yolks, place them into a bowl
Mash yolks gently with a fork, add mayonnaise, mustard, chives and salt and pepper, stir to combine
Spoon yolk into a zip lock bag, seal bag and snip a small corner off bag
Pipe yolk mixture back into each egg half
To decorate add some little sprigs of parsley and sprinkle of chives. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- 2 tablespoons Praise whole egg mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chives, finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Peel and slice eggs in half
- Use a teaspoon to remove egg yolks, place them into a bowl
- Mash yolks gently with a fork
- Add mayonnaise, mustard, chives and salt and pepper, stir to combine
- Spoon yolk into a zip lock bag, seal bag and snip a small corner off bag
- Pipe yolk mixture back into each egg half
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve
By Kat – The Organised Housewife
I asked The Organised Housewife community recently what they would take when asked to bring a plate, here are some of their awesome ideas (thank you to each of you for sharing).
- antipasto platter
- smoked salmon, Guacamole & little crustini’s/Melba toast
- zucchini slice cut into bite sizes
- warm Cob loaf or dinner rolls with ham, mustard and lettuce (the men love these!)
- cold cheesy spinach cob loaf dip
- home made sushi
- crackers top with cottage cheese, ham and sun dried tomato
toothpicks/half skewers with cabanosi, baby bococini & sun dried tomato
corn relish dip
- layered Mexican dip
- mini pumpkin and feta pies
- vegemite pinwheels
- dip of any kind with crackers and vegetable sticks
- marinated chicken wings
- Salami circles – cut bread in a circle with a cookie cutter, lay a piece of salami on it, add some asparagus (tinned one), roll up and secure with a tooth pick.
- filled croissants
- dukkah and flat bread
- Spinach and feta fill triangles
- cheese board
- mozzarella and tomato salad
- spicy meatballs on toothpicks (beef mince, minced garlic paprika, onion, cumin , parsley) with lemon yogurt sauce (greek yogurt, lemon zest, bit of lemon juice, mint)
- creamed corn quiches – basically corn, chives, egg in puff pastry made in a muffin tin