I whipped these Coconut Date Bars up one afternoon when the kids came home from school telling me how hungry they were. In under 5 minutes, the mixture was sitting in the tin ready to be baked, and just over 30 minutes later they were ready to eat. These coconut date bars were so quick and easy to make and gave me plenty of leftovers to put in kids lunchboxes for the next day and to freeze for future after school hunger emergencies.
The dates give these bars a slightly caramel-like flavour, making them taste so delicious and naughty when in reality they are jam-packed full of goodness. The beauty of this recipe is that you will most likely have everything you need to make it already sitting in your pantry. The only thing you may not have is linseeds, but you can easily substitute chia seeds or hemp seeds in their place.
Depending on the amount of time you bake these for, they can turn out to be soft or crunchy. I baked mine for about 35 minutes and they were soft and delicious, but if you like yours to be gooier or harder (like a crunchy muesli bar) then just adjust the baking time.
Thermomix Coconut Date BarsPrint This
YOU WILL NEED
- 160g medjool dates, seeds removed
- 220g butter, chopped
- 100g golden syrup
- 100g brown sugar
- 60g shredded coconut
- 100g rolled oats
- 40g linseeds
- 150g self raising flour
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Grease and line an 18 x 28cm slice tin with baking paper.
- Place dates into Thermomix bowl, chop 5 seconds / speed 7.
- Place dates into a bowl and set aside.
- To same bowl add butter and syrup, melt 4 min / 50 degrees / speed 2, or until melted.
- Add dates, brown sugar, coconut, rolled oats, linseeds and flour, mix 30 sec / reverse / speed 3.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, mix 10 sec / reverse / speed 3.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing into bars.
STORAGE TIPS: Store in an airtight container.
What’s your favourite homemade bar recipe?
January 29, 2019
January 22, 2019
November 7, 2018