So this cake has a funny story to it. Last week I wasn’t feeling the best, but despite this, I don’t know what came over me, but I had the desire to make a cake. I found the Thermomix Yoghurt cake recipe, but I didn’t have lemon or grapeseed oil as per their recipe, so I improvised. The recipe needed a pinch of salt, but in a daze rather than grabbing what I thought was the salt grinder to give it one wind of rock salt, as I was walking it back to the pantry I realised I just cracked pepper into the batter. Ooh dear, I got what I could out, but thought hey, Lemon Pepper is meant to be a good combo! I think I got most of the pepper out, but we all had a good laugh.
The recipe also required the zest of one lemon, however, I didn’t have any lemon in the fridge so I used 2 drops of lemon essential oil which was perfect and a great way to use my oils!!
I made this recipe in the Thermomix, but Donna Hay has a great regular recipe you can make with your electric mixer.
Lemon Yoghurt Cake
- 150g sugar
- 2 drops lemon essential oil
- 80g vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 200g plain flour
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 120g natural yoghurt
- 30g icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180°C, fan forced.
- Grease and line a round cake tin and set aside.
- Place sugar and lemon essential oils into
thermomixbowl, mill 10 seconds / speed 10
- Scrape the side of the bowl.
- Add eggs and mix 30 seconds / speed 3.
- Add flour, salt, baking powder, yoghurt and oil, mix 1
minute / speed5.
- Scrape the sides and continue to mix for a further 15 seconds / speed 5.
- Place mixture into prepared cake tin and bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through, remove from oven and stand for 5 minutes.
- Transfer cake to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife