I asked all my kids recently what is the one thing that you want me to make this Christmas? Both girls said rumballs, but at the top of my sons list was Eggnog. We usually indulge in this devilish drink on Christmas morning with breakfast, but I might make some up for Christmas Eve it’s sooooo good!! After you try this recipe you’ll never have the commercial variety again, it’s just not the same.
Omit the alcohol for the kids of course. Usually, we just add a splash of our desired booze, rum, brandy or bourbon to the glass and mix it in.
Remember to take the eggs out a few hours, or night before, before to get them to room temperature.
Christmas Egg Nog
- 6 eggs at room temperature, separated
- 3/4 cup caster sugar, for the yolks
- 6 tablespoons sugar, for the whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups whipped cream
- 2 cups full cream milk
- 1 cup brandy or rum
- 1 1/3 cups bourbon
- Whip cream in electric mixer on high speed in electric mixer until soft peaks form, approx 2-4 minutes.
- Transfer cream to another bowl.
- Clean and dry electric mixer bowl. Important this is done to ensure quality peaks for egg whites.
- Separate the eggs, placing the yolks into the biggest bowl you have and whites into an electric mixer bowl.
- Using a hand whisk, vigorously whisk the yolks until they turn a light yellow.
- Add 3/4 cup sugar and vanilla, whisk through.
- Add whipped cream, milk and alcohol (optional), gently whisk to combine.
- Beat the egg whites in electric mixer until soft peaks form, approx 3-5 minutes.
mixer running, add remaining sugar, one tablespoon at a time.
- Continue beating until stiff peaks form, approx 2-4 minutes.
- With a spatula, gently fold the egg white mixture into the yolk mixture.
- Continue to gently fold (don’t want to lose the fluffiness you just created), until all combined.
- Add the eggnog to a jug or ladle into cups.
- Sprinkle each cup with nutmeg.
- The eggnog will separate if left. If this happens gently stir it.
- Remember to keep it refrigerated.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife
Do you love Eggnog too?
7 THINGS I DO EACH DAY TO KEEP THE HOME CLEAN AND ORGANISED
Subscribe to my weekly newsletter to receive blog updates in our inbox + this FREE eBook sharing some of my top tips that you can adapt in your own home.