It’s this time of year that my slow cooker makes a more frequent appearance. I love slow cooker dinners. They are really easy to put together and at the end of the day, depending on the recipe, it’s ready or you just have to chop up some salad (like this recipe below) or make some pasta or rice to serve along side it.
This Asian Chicken Salad isn’t really a winter dish, but my kids absolutely love it. I found this recipe in the little recipe book that came with my crock-pot, there is quite a few recipes in there worth trying. I’ve made it a few times now for dinner and lunch. However, I have tweaked the recipe ever so slightly as we aren’t fans of coriander and prefer to use brown sugar instead of palm sugar.
This is also a great way to poach chicken to have on hand for salads for lunch through the week or stir through enchilada’s or pasta dishes.
Asian Chicken Salad
6 hours 10 mins
- 2 large chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 celery stalk, roughly chopped
- 1 medium brown onion, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 1 sugar loaf cabbage, finely sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup fried shallots
- 50g brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 cup olive oil
- Add chicken breasts to slow cooker and season with salt and pepper.
- Add carrot, celery and onion and then pour over chicken stock.
- Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker, discard vegetables and liquid.
- Shred the remaining chicken breast using two forks and set aside.
- Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl with shredded chicken.
- To make dressing, whisk all ingredients in a small bowl until combined, immediately pour over salad.
- Toss salad to coat in dressing and serve.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife
this recipe was inspired by the Crock-Pot little recipe book
More recipes you may enjoy
CHICKEN AND CORN CHOWDER – This chicken and corn chowder is a scrumptious thick and chunky soup, which fills up those hungry bellies a little more than a pureed type of soup.
RECIPE: CHICKEN AND CORN CHOWDER
CHICKEN AND CHEESE PASTA BAKE – Need a fast dinner idea. This Chicken pasta bake doesn’t take long to put together and the kids will enjoy it!
RECIPE: Chicken and Cheese Pasta Bake
7 THINGS I DO EACH DAY TO KEEP THE HOME CLEAN AND ORGANISED
Subscribe to my weekly newsletter to receive blog updates in our inbox + this FREE eBook sharing some of my top tips that you can adapt in your own home.