This Savoury Sausage Casserole is quick to make, tastes delicious, and is a super easy spin on curried sausages.
My kids have been very busy with after school commitments of late, so I have been trying to create recipes that I can quickly prepare, allowing me instead to spend time helping them with their homework.
This recipe was a natural progression on from my love of curried sausages (curried sausages would have to be one of my favourite meals!).
This recipe is so easy and my kids loved it! Simply brown the sausages in a frying pan, and while they are browning slice up the onions and carrot. Add the browned (but not cooked through) sausages into a large casserole dish, and sprinkle onions and carrots over the top.
I then add peas – I keep my peas in a container to stop them dropping throughout the freezer.
Don’t limit yourself to just peas though! You could add corn, capsicum… whatever veggies you prefer.
I then pour over the sauce mixture and place in the oven to continue cooking the sausages.
Halfway through I pop a pot of potatoes on the stove to serve mashed on the side, or alternatively I serve with rice.
Baked Curried Sausages
1 hour 15 mins
- 12 thick sausages
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups hot water
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C, fan forced.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add sausages and turn occasionally for 8-10 minutes or until golden.
- Place sausages into a 4L capacity baking dish.
- Add carrots, onion and peas on top of sausages.
- In a jug add water, milk, salt, worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, vinegar, flour, curry powder and brown sugar. Mix.
- Pour sauce over sausages and vegetables.
- Bake pasta bake in oven for 45-50 minutes or until golden.
- Serve over rice or with mashed potato and additional vegetables.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife