This is one of those recipes that can be made with canned tuna or salmon, then served with a delicious salad or steamed vegetables.
This is one of my go-to meals to serve up the night before I do my grocery shop. I always tend to keep canned salmon or tuna in my pantry along with spare potatoes and onions. I prefer to use spring onion but you can use a regular brown onion if you desire. Simply boil the potatoes, then add your canned tuna or salmon, mayonnaise and salt and pepper to season.
Roll into desired patty sizes. You can make them smaller for the kiddies if you prefer.
Coat each patty in flour, then place the patties into the egg mixture and then the breadcrumbs. Use two separate bowls and one hand for each bowl so that you don’t end up with sticky fingers.
I like to make a double batch of these salmon or tuna patties to freeze and have on hand for busy nights. I then simply defrost them and cook in a frying pan until browned and heated through.
Salmon or Tuna Patties
- 5 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 415g tin salmon, drained with bones removed (or tuna)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup oil
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add potatoes and cook for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Drain potatoes. Return the potatoes to the saucepan and cook over medium heat for 1 minute, stirring to evaporate any excess liquid. Remove from heat.
- Mash potato until smooth, cool slightly.
- Add salmon, mayonnaise, garlic, spring onions, salt and pepper to potato, mix to combine.
- Divide mixture into 12 patties.
- Place flour, egg and breadcrumbs into separate bowls.
- Coat each pattie in flour.
- Once complete in one hand roll pattie in egg, then with the other hand roll through breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in frypan over medium-high heat.
- Cook patties for 3-4 minutes or until browned on each side.
- Serve with salad or steamed vegetables.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THIS RECIPE! – If you’ve tried this Salmon or Tuna Patties recipe, please leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my newsletters with the latest recipes or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.