This pasta bake is a delicious way to use up some left over Christmas turkey meat. A creamy and very flavoursome roast pumpkin, spinach and turkey pasta bake. This bake made enough for our family of 5 plus left overs for the next day. Serve with salad and you can easily stretch it out to feed 10.
During the year you can substitute chicken for turkey.
Roast Pumpkin, Spinach & Turkey Pasta Bake
- 1/2 butternut pumpkin, peeled and diced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 500g Trivelli pasta
- 2 cups cooked turkey, shredded
- 3 rashers shortcut bacon, diced
- 70g butter
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 tbsp chicken stock powder
- 1 1/2 cup tasty cheese, grated
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper, to season
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Cook pasta following packet directions, drain and place back into saucepan
- Place pumpkin onto a large baking try, toss in 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake pumpkin in oven for 30 minutes or until golden, allow to cool slightly.
- In a medium saucepan add 2 tablespoons of oil and fry bacon until golden, place onto a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Using same saucepan, melt the butter on medium-high.
- Once butter is foaming add flour stirring for 1 minute, remove from heat.
- Gradually pour in milk, whisking to combine milk and butter mixture.
- Add in grated cheese and stock powder.
- Return to heat and stirring for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Using the saucepan you cooked your pasta add in the pasta, turkey, spinach, bacon and sauce, mix until well combined.
- Pour half of the pasta mixture into a large casserole dish, then spoon on half of the roast pumpkin, stir through gently. Then top with remaining pasta and pumpkin.
- Sprinkle on panko breadcrums and parmesan cheese
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until cheese has melted and golden.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife