Rhubarb and Apple Crumble Recipe. A classic family favourite dessert that is so delicious and comforting. It is sure to be a hit!
Rhubarb always brings back fond memories of my childhood, my mum used to regularly serve us stewed rhubarb and custard. I spotted some rhubarb for sale in Woolworths the other day and I felt inspired to make a crumble. There is just something so comforting about this dessert, the heat of the crumble and coldness of the cream or ice-cream. I must admit I like to have it with both custard and ice-cream at once! This is my twist, to a delicious childhood favourite, Apple & Rhubarb Crumble.
Simmer the apple and rhubarb as per the recipe below then place into a baking dish and top with the crumble mixture.
Recommended Tools to Make Rhubarb and Apple Crumble
Rhubarb and Apple Crumble
- 4 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cups rhubarb, leaves removed, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 50g butter, chopped
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 180°C, lightly grease a medium ovenproof dish.
- Place apple and water in a saucepan over medium-low heat, bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover saucepan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the rhubarb and sugar. Continue to cook covered for a further 2-3 minutes or until rhubarb is just tender.
- Drain excess liquid. Spoon mixture into dish.
- Place butter, sugar and flour into a bowl.
- Rub ingredients together with fingertips until mixture resembles breadcrumbs, stir through oats.
- Sprinkle over apple mixture.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until golden.
- Serve warm with custard, cream or ice-cream.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THIS RECIPE! – If you’ve tried this Rhubarb & Apple Crumble recipe, please leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my newsletters with the latest recipes or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.