Rhubarb always gives me fond memories of my childhood, mum used to always serve us stewed rhubarb and custard. This is my twist, to a delicious childhood favourite, Apple & Rhubarb Crumble.
Rhubarb and Apple Crumble
- 4 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cups rhubarb, leaves removed, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 50g butter, chopped
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 180°C, lightly grease a medium ovenproof dish.
- Place apple and water in a saucepan over medium-low heat, bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover saucepan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the rhubarb and sugar. Continue to cook covered for a further 2-3 minutes or until rhubarb is just tender.
- Drain excess liquid. Spoon mixture into dish.
- Place butter, sugar and flour into a bowl.
- Rub ingredients together with fingertips until mixture resembles breadcrumbs, stir through oats.
- Sprinkle over apple mixture.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until golden.
- Serve warm with custard, cream or ice-cream.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife