Rhubarb always gives me fond memories of my childhood, mum used to always serve us stewed rhubarb and custard. This is my twist, to a delicious childhood favourite, Apple & Rhubarb Crumble.
Rhubarb and Apple Crumble
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 cups chopped rhubarb
- 50g butter, chopped
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1 cup oats
- Preheat oven to 160°C
- Place apple, lemon juice and sugar in a saucepan over medium-low heat
- Gently stir until sugar dissolves
- Cover saucepan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the rhubarb and cook covered for a further 5 or until apples and rhubarb are just tender.
- Transfer to a ovenproof dish
- Place butter, sugar and flour into bowl
- Rub ingredients together with fingertips until mixture resembles breadcrumbs, stir through oats
- Sprinkle over apple mixture
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until golden
By Kat – The Organised Housewife