As winter approaches we are start to enjoy the casseroles and pies. My hubby cooked this Shepherd’s Pie for us, something quick and easy for him to prepare.
Quick Shepherd’s Pie
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1kg lamb mince
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 5 potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 25g unsalted butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup tasty cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add potatoes and cook for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain. Return the potatoes to the saucepan and cook over medium heat for 1 minute. Stir continuously to evaporate any excess liquid. Remove from heat.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook onion, carrot and celery for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add mince, cook and stir for 5 minutes or until browned.
- Sprinkle flour over mince mixture, and continue to stir. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add peas, stock, BBQ and tomato sauce to the pan, stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes until sauce has thickened.
- Meanwhile, mash potatoes. Add in milk and butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon mince mixture into a 4L capacity baking dish.
- Spoon large dollops of potato on top of mince mixture then spread evenly with a fork.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Place baking dish under grill and leave until cheese is golden. Serve.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife