This Pumpkin, Feta and Spinach savoury muffin recipe is a great lunch item for school or for the adults of the family. Or as a healthy and delicious grab and go breakfast item!
I am currently on the quest to fill our freezer up with alternatives to sandwiches for school and work lunches that are tasty, satisfying and reasonably healthy. When I think of a muffin, I usually think of the sweet variety. However, these Pumpkin, Feta and Spinach savoury muffins are a great lunchtime hunger buster which are filled with vegetables and can be served with a side of salad.
Put the spinach in a strainer and squeeze as much of the moisture from the spinach as you can.
Resist the desire to over stir the mixture, this will prevent the muffin from being dense and also keep your diced pumpkin in shape.
This recipe makes 12 regular sized muffins, but you can use a 24 hole mini tray to make mini muffins for the kid’s lunchboxes. Freeze the muffins you don’t pack for lunch for another day.
Silicone Muffin Trays
I like to use my 12 Cup Muffin Pan for this recipe, but by slightly changing up the cooking temp you could make these bigger by using the 6 Cup Muffin Pan (cook for a little longer), or go for bite-sized snacks by using the 24 Cup Muffin Pan (cook for a little less time).
Whatever muffin pan you decide to use, I strongly suggest that it’s silicone. They are HEAPS easier to clean, plus the muffins slide out effortlessly.
Pumpkin, Feta and Spinach Muffins
1 hour 10 mins
- 2 cups pumpkin, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 125g frozen spinach, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C, fan forced.
- Place pumpkin into a bowl, drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat.
- Line a baking tray with a silicone mat or baking paper. Place pumpkin in single layer on tray. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Grease or line a 12 hole muffin tray and set aside.
- Cook spinach following packet direction, drain and squeeze as much excess moisture from spinach as you can then sit and cool for a few minutes.
- In a bowl add eggs, milk, zucchini, feta, parmesan, zucchini, spinach, pumpkin and salt and pepper, if desired. Mix to combine.
- Sprinkle flour over top of mixture, and gently fold until combined.
- Spoon batter evenly into muffin tray.
- Bake them for 20-25 minutes or until golden and skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack to cool.
- Serve at your desired temperature, warm or cold.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife
Make these Pumpkin, Feta and Spinach Muffins for an after school snack for the kids or a healthy lunchbox idea with a side of salad!
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THIS RECIPE! – If you’ve tried this Pumpkin, Feta and Spinach savoury muffin recipe, please leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my newsletters with the latest recipes or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Pin this image below to Pinterest!
What’s your favourite savoury muffin recipe?