This cottage pie dish is one of my families winter favourites, but also a great recipe to cook up when you’re not really in the mood for doing anything too fancy.
Prepare the mince mixture and while this is simmering in the frypan put the potatoes on to boil.
Place mince mixture in casserole dish, top with mashed potato and bake in oven until golden. Serve with salad, vegetables or on its own.
Easy Cottage Pie
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1kg lean beef mince
- 1 heaped tablespoon instant gravy powder
- 1 cup beef stock
- 400g can diced tomatoes with oregano and basil
- 5 potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 50g butter, chopped
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Heat oil in frying pan.
- Cook mince and onion for 8-10 min or until browned.
- Add garlic and gravy powder, cook stirring for 1 min.
- Stir in stock and tomato, bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Simmer, stirring occasionally for 25-30 min or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a pot of boiling water, cook potato for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain water from potatoes, return potatoes to pan, add in butter and milk, then mash until smooth.
- Spoon mince mixture into a casserole dish.
- Top with potato, spreading with a fork.
- Bake for 20-25 min or until golden.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife
Similar Recipes you may enjoy
click on image to view recipe