After noticing the lack of pork on our weekly meal plan I set out to find a recipe. I ended up making an extremely delicious Roast Pork with Caramelised apples and onion for my family last Sunday. It only required a few simple ingredients, pork, fresh apples, onion and thyme, maple syrup, olive oil and salt. Turns out I forgot to use the thyme, but it still tasted really good!. I used a Boneless Pork Leg Roast from Coles.
This is the 2nd time I have ever made Roast Pork, so I certainly don’t call myself an expert on crackling I still have a lot to learn. I gave it a really good go, rubbing olive oil and salt over the pork. I realised when I checked on the pork after half an hour of cooking that I neglected to rub oil and salt down the lower sides of the pork, so make sure you rub all over!
After 1 hour 15 minutes of cooking it’s time to add in the apples, onions, drizzle with maple syrup and cook for a further 30 minutes. You can see here the side of the pork is not crackling too well.
Mmm, this looks so good, the best part would be the onion and apples on the base of the casserole dish covered in the maple syrup sauce. See how effortless making a roast dinner is!
I served the roast pork with caramelised apples and onion with roast potatoes and glazed carrots and spinach. I also removed the rind from the roast and put it under the grill to crackle further, it crackled up a treat!
ROAST PORK WITH CARAMELISED APPLES AND ONION
1 hour 45 mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2.5 kg pork leg roast
- 2 onions, thickly sliced
- 4 Jazz apples, thickly sliced
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon thyme sprigs
- Preheat oven to 210°C fan-forced.
- Pour oil over pork and sprinkle with salt. Don’t forget the sides and press into scored rind.
- Place in a roasting tin and cook for 45 mins.
- Reduce oven to 160°C and cook for 30 mins.
- Place onion around pork and top with apple slices.
- Pour maple syrup over the apple slices and return to the oven, cooking for 30 mins
- Check if pork is cooked through, you may need to cook longer.
- Remove from oven.
- Sprinkle thyme over the apple.
- Rest pork for 10 mins, before slicing.
- Serve with caramelised apple, onion, roast potatoes and vegetables.
- Drizzle over pan juices, if desired.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife
Original recipe found at taste.com.au