I’m a big fan of The Block, I have been watching it since Season 1 when Jamie Durie was the host and also watched the season my lovely blogging pal Katrina Chambers and her sister Amie were on the show. The contestants had a cook off and Katrina and Amie won by cooking their mums Chicken and Corn Chowder.
I made their Chicken and Corn Chowder the day after I saw it on the show and it’s one of my go-to chicken soup recipes each winter ever since. I tweaked the recipe ever so slightly by adding in some garlic. It’s a scrumptious thick and chunky soup, which fills up those hungry bellies a little more than a pureed type of soup.
Chicken and Corn Chowder
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 4 shortcut bacon, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 potato, small cubes
- 310g corn kernels (do not drain)
- 420g condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups milk
- 1 BBQ Chicken, shredded
- Heat oil in large saucepan.
- Fry onion, garlic and bacon over medium-high heat for 2-3 min, until browned.
- Add carrots, potato, corn kernels, chicken,
soup and milk.
- Stir to combine.
- Simmer covered for 30 min or until vegetables are tender, stir occasionally to prevent skin forming on top.
- Season with salt and pepper, serve with crusty bread.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife
This recipe was originally posted on 2nd August 2011.