Lunch doesn’t always have to be a sandwich! You can switch it up with a salad, wrap or a savoury muffin. This is a delicious muffin recipe, especially if you are introducing the kids to the world of savoury muffins. It’s easy to make and freezable. I take them out of the freezer in the morning, place into the lunch box and by lunchtime, it has thawed.
Aren’t muffins just the greatest food invention ever created? You can make so many varieties and use fruit, chocolate, vanilla, basically anything delicious to add to them. But how often do you bake savoury muffins?
I love baking savoury muffins for my kid’s school lunch boxes and as afternoon snacks. I find that replacing boring lunches with these savoury muffins are such a fun alternative to the usual ham and cheese sandwich. These little guys are so yummy, and if you have them as afterschool snacks, reheat them for a few seconds in the microwave and add some butter to them. Mmmm delish!!!!
Ham and Corn Muffins
- 2 1/2 cups Self Raising Flour
- 1 tablespoon castor sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 150g shaved leg ham, finely chopped
- 3/4 cups milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup grated tasty cheese
- 125g creamed corn
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Preheat oven 180C
- Grease a 12 hole muffin tin
- Place flour, sugar, chives and ham into a bowl, stir to combine
- Add remaining ingredients, stir mixture until just combined.
- Divide mixture evenly between muffin holes.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes then remove from muffin tin and cool on wire rack.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife