A delicious and incredibly easy to make curried rice pie that can be prepared with either salmon or tuna – it’s an absolute favourite in my household!
This curried rice pie is absolutely delicious (in my humble opinion!) and has been my favourite number one dish for years. It can be made with either salmon or tuna, and my family usually cook it for me for my birthday – sometimes the kids even request it for their birthday dinner too!
The base is made up of cooked rice that’s been pressed into the bottom and sides of the dish. As silly as it sounds, I can’t master cooking rice on the stovetop, which is why I love the Smart Rice Cooker because it cooks rice perfectly every time – you can even preset the timer so it’s ready right when you need it.
The rice base is then covered with a tin of salmon (make sure you remove the bones!) or tuna – I switch it up and use whichever one I happen to have on hand in the pantry.
To save time you can prepare the curry sauce whilst the rice is cooking. If you’re making this recipe for young children you may want to reduce the curry powder. When my kids were younger I used 1/2 to 3/4 of a tablespoon of curry powder, then gradually increased this as they got older.
Then it’s just a matter of topping the salmon or tuna with the curry sauce, sprinkling it with cheese, and popping it in the oven.
This recipe makes a fabulous winter comfort meal, but my family have it all year long.
Curried Salmon or Tuna Rice Pie
- 1 cup white rice
- 45g butter
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1-2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1½ cups milk
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 30g butter (extra)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten (extra)
- 415g can tuna in spring water, drained and flaked
- 3/4 cup tasty cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees, fan forced.
- Cook rice as per packet instructions.
- To make curry sauce, melt butter in medium saucepan over medium-high heat until foaming.
- Add flour and curry powder. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until mixture bubbles and begins to come away from the side of the pan. Remove from heat.
- Gradually pour in milk. Whisk continuously until mixture is smooth.
- Add mayonnaise and whisk to combine. Return to heat. Stir until sauce boils and thickens.
- Add lemon juice and parsley. Stir through then simmer for 1 minute.
- Remove saucepan from heat, add egg and stir through. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, add extra butter, egg, salt and pepper to cooked rice. Mix to combine.
- Spoon rice into a 12-cup (3L) oven-proof dish. Press rice over bottom and side of the dish.
- Spread tuna over rice base.
- Pour curry sauce over tuna.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in oven for 20-30 minutes or until golden. Serve.
- TIP: Tinned salmon can be used as an alternative to tuna.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife
Freezing: This is a great meal to freeze and have on hand for when you aren’t well and don’t feel like cooking. If you’re looking for more hearty, home-cooked meals like this one, be sure to check out my Hearty Dinners Recipe Cookbook. Or get it for FREE when you purchase the Smart Rice Cooker (for a limited time only).
What customers are saying about this recipe?
Customer Review – Hearty Dinners Recipe Cookbook
“First meal out of the new book, delicious! Curried Salmon Rice Pie. Thanks, Kat for another amazing book.” – Nicole Z
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THIS RECIPE! – If you’ve tried this Curried Salmon or Tuna Rice Pie recipe, please leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my newsletters with the latest recipes or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Note: this post has been updated with new photos, it was originally posted on 13th May 2013.