This is a guest post by Mel from Nourishing Your World
It is so much fun getting into the kitchen and baking Christmas Cookies, and one of our all-time favourites are Healthy Gingerbread Cookies. Christmas is such a magical time of year, and I love nothing more than donning an apron, turning on some Christmas carols and getting my bake on!
With so many sugary treats at this time of year, this recipe is a perfect balance – with no refined sugar, yet still tastes delicious!
Gingerbread cookies are a hit with the kids (and the adults too!), allowing you to create your own fun shapes with so many awesome cookie cutters now available. We have opted for the traditional Gingerbread man, Christmas tree & stars. You can even add your own personalised icing & decorations for an extra bit of pizzazz!
Healthy Gingerbread CookiesPrint This
YOU WILL NEED
- 3 cups plain flour
- 125g butter (chopped & at room temperature)
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 egg
- Optional – decorate with icing
- Place butter into a bowl, and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add maple syrup & egg and beat until well combined.
- Sift flour, ginger & cinnamon over mixture.
- Using a spatula or wooden spoon, combine all ingredients until a soft dough starts to form.
- Place dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently.
- Place dough between two pieces of baking paper and roll mixture until approx. 1-1.5cm thick.
- Refrigerate dough for 30-45 mins.
- Pre-heat oven to 160C.
- Place chilled dough onto bench or cooking mat, and cut out into shapes with cookie cutter.
- Place shapes onto an oven tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake in pre-heated oven on 160C for approx. 12-15 mins.