Thank you to reader Vanessa C for sharing her egg nog recipe with us. Egg nog is a chilled sweet dairy based drink traditionally made with milk or cream, sugar for sweetening and eggs. Then add a splash of brandy, rum or bourbon for an extra kick.
How do you make your egg nog?
Vanessa takes her egg nog seriously, she doesn’t allow any interruptions when making it eg phone is off the hook, mobile on silent and no kids around.
- 1 lite full cream milk
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 1 vanilla bean split
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 10 egg yolks
- 1 & 1/2 cups of brandy
- And if you want to sprinkle fresh nutmeg or cinnamon to serve.
- Place milk, sugar, vanilla bean & cinnamon sticks into a saucepan over a medium heat and constantly stirring for about 5 minutes or until it comes to a gentle boil.
- Then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove cinnamon sticks & vanilla bean and put aside.
- Then beat the egg yolks for 1 minute.
- Then add a small amount to milk mixture and whisk in ( don’t add in all at once it will cook the egg and end up scrambled up )
- Then when all yolk is added in, put it back on a low heat, constantly stirring till eggnog thickens and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Then add the brandy.
- Pour into sterilised bottles refrigerate for 2 days to allow flavour to develop.
- Please note you many need a strainer & funnel so your eggnog as you are pouring into bottles, so it will be smooth and no extra bumps or lumps.
- I don’t think it takes that long for flavour to develop and plus I can’t wait to drink this and it is deadly.
- If you want non-alcoholic just don’t add the brandy ( my kids loves to try it before the brandy is put in).
By Kat – The Organised Housewife