Who doesn’t love a chocolate cake…. They come in many shapes, sizes and textures but nothing beats a homemade slice of cake when it’s still warm and better yet topped with some delicious buttery icing. If you’re going to treat yourself, you might as well go all out… right!
I recently made this Chocolate Coconut cake for my twinnies as a treat as they have been so good joining along with the current gluten free, dairy free, low food map diet we are on for their little sister. Don’t worry their little sister had her own treat.
This Chocolate Coconut Cake was heavenly, it stayed beautifully moist for days. Ooh my mouth is watering just remembering how good it was!
Chocolate Coconut Cake
- 90g butter, melted and cooled
- 60g dark chocolate, grated
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/4 cups self raising flour
- 90g butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 4-6 tablespoons coconut milk
- Shredded coconut, to decorate
- Melt butter and sit to cool.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line and grease a round cake pan.
- Place chocolate, cocoa and boiling water into a heat proof bowl. Let mixture stand, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Once butter has cooled add it and sugar into an electric mixer bowl, mix till combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing for 3 minutes until mixture has thickened.
- Gradually add the coconut milk and melted chocolate mixture to bowl, continue to mix until smooth. Add flour, mixing on medium speed until just combined.
- Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes or until cooked through, remove from oven and stand for 5 minutes.
- Transfer cake to a wire rack to cool completely before icing.
- Beat butter, cocoa, icing sugar and coconut milk in an electric mixture bowl.
- Spoon onto cake and gently spread.
- Sprinkle with shredded coconut.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife