A delicious and creamy chicken pot pie recipe that’s simple to make, fabulous for a weeknight meal, and an absolute crowd pleaser for hungry children!
This Chicken pot pie is satisfyingly creamy. I’ve been making this recipe for years now, and it’s one of the kids’ favourites (and mine too!). The recipe is not overly complicated to make, and it’s a great weeknight dinner idea.
To make this meal stretch a little further for my hubby and son (who both like to get a big feed!), I add an additional chicken breast, carrot and 1/3 cup more chicken stock along with a splash of cream to the below recipe.
I serve it in ramekins for myself and the girls, but my hubby and son need something a little bigger as we have found a ramekin doesn’t fill them up. I use the Mixtur oven dish from Ikea for each of them, it’s a 14cm square glass dish, and is big enough for a hungry man single-size serve.
My kids love when I make a pie with pastry crust as they use the left over pieces to decorate the tops of their pie. We have lots of fun and laughter together when cooking dinner!
I love dinners like these that can be made ahead of time – it helps a lot on busy weeknights. If you’re looking for more hearty dinner ideas like this one, be sure to check out my new cookbook!
Chicken pot pies
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 chicken breasts, diced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 200ml chicken stock
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 3-4 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Preheat oven to 220°C, fan forced.
- Lightly grease 4-5 ramekins and set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook half the chicken for 5 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan and set aside. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Add remaining oil to pan. Add celery, carrot, onions, garlic, corn and peas to frying pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until onion is soft.
- In a small jug add water and cornflour. Mix and add to frying pan.
- Pour in chicken stock. Stir to combine and bring to the boil. Cook for 1 minute or until slightly thickened.
- Reduce heat to low and add cream. Stir to combine.
- Place chicken back into frying pan and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat and cook for 3 minutes.
- Use the top of a ramekin as a guide to cut pastry circles 1-2 cm larger for each ramekin.
- Place ramekins onto a baking tray. Divide mixture into ramekins.
- Place pastry circles on top of ramekins and press edges over ramekins. Pierce a small hole in the centre of each pastry lid. Brush each pastry lids with egg.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden and puffed. Serve.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THIS RECIPE! – If you’ve tried this Chicken Pot Pies recipe, please leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my newsletters with the latest recipes or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.