This chicken bolognese is a great twist to one of my kids favourite dishes, spaghetti bolognese.
Filled with some delicious vegetables, onion, celery, mushrooms, you could also add carrots and capsicum too!
- 300g spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, leaves trimmed, chopped
- 4 mushrooms, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 500g chicken breast mince
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Parmesan cheese, grated, to serve
- Cook pasta following packet directions.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, carrot, celery, mushroom and garlic. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until softened.
- Add mince, cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until browned.
- Stir through tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, soy sauce and bay leaf. Stir and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve over spaghetti with a sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife
I originally found this recipe in the Better Homes & Gardens February 2011 magazine.
Vege Packed Bolognese – Spaghetti Bolognese is my kids favourite dinner, they would happily eat it each week if I planned it. I usually double this recipe and either freeze it or plan to have it in a different meal later that week (left overs).
Beef and Bacon Pasta Bake – This beef and bacon pasta bake add’s in a little extra flavour beyond the basic jar of pasta sauce.
Chicken Coconut Curry Meatballs – Through my childhood I was always served meat and 3 veg. And I must admit sausages or chicken schnitzel, mash and vegetables would have to be one of my favourite weeknight meals. However, sometimes I like to fancy it up and this Chicken & Coconut Curry Meatballs is exactly that.