I made this cake for my brother-in-laws birthday not long ago. He is a massive sweet tooth and loves all things chocolate, so a chocolate cake was the obvious option. I didn’t have a lot of time to decorate it, so I chopped up an Aero peppermint bar and added in on top. The fresh snap of the mint chocolate topping was a perfect addition as it balanced out the flavours to make this cake deliciously indulgent without being too rich.
The hit of peppermint is from the chocolate bar topping, however you could also add 4 drops of peppermint essential oil to the cake batter to give it a mint flavour too.
Easy Mint and Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 80g butter, softened
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 150g dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup pouring cream
- 118g Aero Peppermint Chocolate Block
- Preheat oven to 160°C, fan forced.
- Grease and line a round cake tin.
- Sift flour and cocoa into an electric mixer bowl.
- Add sugar, butter, milk and eggs, mixing on high for 4 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 35-40 minutes or until cooked through.
- Allow to stand in tin for 5 minutes before turning onto wire rack to cool.
- To make the chocolate glaze add chocolate and cream into a small saucepan, over low heat. Continually stir until smooth.
- Remove from heat, allow to stand for 5 minutes before spreading over cooled cake.
- Crumble peppermint chocolate block over cake to decorate.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife