Step by step instructions for making these easy and delicious homemade Cheese and Vegemite Scrolls, also known as Cheesy-mite Scrolls.
I usually make the scrolls the night before and add to the kids lunchboxes or have them fresh on weekends for lunch. You could use the base of this recipe for many different varieties:
- ham and cheese
- bacon and cheese
- ham, capsicum, pineapple and cheese
- ham, pineapple and cheese
- chicken and sweet chilli
- pizza sauce and cheese
- salami and cheese
- vegemite and cheese
- spinach and fetta
- sundried tomatoes, basil and cheese
- ham, tomato and cheese
- pesto and cheese
Make the dough, find full recipe below. I make my dough on a silicon mat, as it’s a tedious job to clean the dough off the kitchen bench.
Roll to form a rectangle that is roughly 40cm x 25cm (this is not a thermomix recipe, I just use a large silicon mat from Thermomix).
Spread vegemite over the dough using a blunt knife, then sprinkle cheese over the top.
Roll up the dough starting from a long side first.
Cut 10 x 4cm pieces from the roll. Place these pieces close together, cut side up on a greased baking tray.
Bake in the oven for 15-20 min or until golden.
A great, non sandwich idea for the lunchboxes. Find lunch box ideas here.
Cheese and Vegemite Scrolls
- 3 cups SR Flour
- Pinch Salt
- 50g butter
- 1-1 1/2 cups milk
- 1-2 tbsp Vegemite
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1/2 cup grated cheese, extra
- Pre-heat oven to 220C.
- Sift flour and salt into a bowl.
- Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in enough milk to make a soft dough.
- Knead on a lightly floured board.
- Roll to form a rectangle that is roughly 40cm x 25cm.
- Spread vegemite over the dough using a blunt knife.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top.
- Roll up the dough starting from a long side first.
- Cut 10 x 4cm pieces from the roll.
- Place these pieces close together, cut side up on a greased baking tray.
- Sprinkle the extra cheese over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 min or until golden.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife