This cottage pie is also great to make ahead and keep in the fridge or freezer for a few days, to then reheat (I just pop it back into the oven for 30 minutes) and have for a night you don’t feel like cooking.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 800g lean beef mince
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 5 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 25g unsalted butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup tasty cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Preheat oven to 180°C, fan forced.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook mince, onion and carrot for 5-10 minutes or until browned.
- Add the tomato paste and garlic to mince, stir through and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Pour in beef stock, worcestershire sauce and sprinkle over the oregano, mix well. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the liquid has reduced.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add potatoes and cook for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain. Return the potatoes to the saucepan and cook over medium heat for 1 minute, stirring to evaporate any excess liquid. Remove from heat.
- In a jug add cornflour and water. Mix to form a paste.
- Add the paste, peas and corn to mince mixture, stir until it has thickened slightly.
- Spoon mince mixture into a 3L capacity baking dish.
- Mash potatoes. Add in milk and butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon large dollops of potato on top of mince mixture then spread evenly with a fork.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes or until golden. Serve.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife
Note: this post has been updated with new photos, it was originally posted on 20th June 2015.
You may like these recipes too
click on image to view recipe