Beef stroganoff is delicious meal, with tender strips of beef, sautéed mushrooms, a creamy sour cream based sauce and can be served with pasta, rice or mashed potato. This isn’t a dinner to make for someone watching their weight but it certainly is a winter comfort food. We also like to sneak in some extra vegetables like grated carrot and zucchini.
- 1 kg thinly sliced beef strips
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 teaspoons smoked sweet paprika
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 300g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped or grated
- 1 zucchini, finely chopped or grated
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ½ cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 300ml sour cream
- In a zip lock bag place in the flour, salt, pepper, paprika and beef strips, seal bag and shake to evenly coat beef in spices.
- In a frying pan on high heat 2 tablespoons of oil, place 1/2 of beef strips into pan and fry for 2 minutes or until golden brown, remove from pan. Repeat with other half of beef strips, adding more oil if needed. Remove from pan.
- Reduce frying pan to medium pour in remaining oil and saute mushrooms, garlic, onion, carrot and zucchini until softened.
- Stir through tomato paste, continue to stir for 1 minute.
- Add stock, worcestershire sauce and sour cream to pan, stir.
- Place beef back into pan and cook for 1 minute to heat through.
- Serve with rice, pasta or mashed potato and a sprinkle of chives.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife
click on image to view recipe
This Beef Stroganoff by Kevin is Cooking, also sounds like a delicious recipe, leaving out the extra hidden vegetables, this is a beef up creamy version!