For a delicious and easy muffin recipe, my Banana and Choc Chip Muffins are perfect. Make life a little easier for yourself and have a baking day, stock up on these yummy muffins, and freeze them for your kid’s lunch boxes to have on hand for the next few weeks.
This Banana Choc Chip Muffin recipe is really quick to prepare. As the recipe suggests you can add nuts, but as one of my kids has braces I didn’t add nuts to the mix, instead I added some flaked almond to the top, leaving 2 without nuts especially for her. If your children suffer nut allergies, definitely leave the almonds out, as they are optional.
What I love about this recipe is that it’s versatile, and you can change the chocolate to use white, milk or dark chocolate, plus they are great to add frozen to the lunch box, as it will be defrosted by morning tea time.
Banana Choc Chip Almond Muffins
- 2 overripe bananas, mashed
- 1 egg
- 200ml milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cups self raising flour
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup almonds, roughly chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180ºC, fan forced.
- Lightly grease a 12-hole muffin tray or line with paper patty cases.
- In a large bowl, add bananas, egg, milk and oil, mix to combine.
- Add flour, sugar, chocolate chips and nuts, fold through, do not overstir.
- Spoon mixture evenly into muffin cases.
- Optional – top with more chocolate chips or almonds.
- Bake muffins in oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Rest in tray for 5 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife
I hope you really enjoy this recipe, as much as my family does. Don’t forget to order my Lunch Box Recipe Cookbook, for some fabulous recipes for your kid’s school lunches.
More Freezer Friendly Muffin Recipes
BANANA AND OATBRAN MUFFINS – HEALTHY AFTER SCHOOL SNACK – A healthy after school snack for the kids, Banana Oatbran muffin is freezer friendly and great snack for kids lunchboxes.
APRICOT YOGHURT MUFFINS – Fruit muffins are always a great addition to the kid’s lunch box. This recipe is easy to prepare, you can do it on the weekend and freeze so you can add to lunch boxes through the week or prepare it while you are waiting for dinner to finish cooking in the oven or stove top.
What muffins do you like to bake and put in the freezer for lunchboxes?
Note: this post has been updated with new photos, it was originally posted on 20th January 2012.