An easy homemade Chocolate Rough Slice recipe that is nut-free, and perfect for popping in your children’s school lunch boxes.
I love anything chocolate and coconut, which is why I can’t get enough of this Chocolate Rough Slice that seems to effortlessly bring both delicious ingredients together into one very yummy treat! The best bit about these nut-free goodies, is their ability to be frozen.
The best bit about these nut-free goodies – apart from the fact they’re delicious and only take 20 minutes to prep – is that they freeze really well, making them a great option for a kid’s school lunch box as an occasional treat. Simply put into the freezer the day you bake them (this will lock in the freshness), and then pull one out of the freezer on a school morning and pop into your child’s lunch box. It’ll be perfectly defrosted for morning tea time.
This slice has a nice soft base that’s not too crunchy, and the topping is delicious! You can bake this in a slice tin, the slice will be a little thinner and crunchier, but as I like it soft and thicker I make it in a loaf tin.
TIP: To easily spread the topping, put a spoon into boiling water and then use to spread.
Chocolate Rough Slice
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 110g butter, melted
- 200g condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180°C, fan forced.
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper. I like to line it as it’s easier to lift out.
- In a large bowl, sift flour and cocoa, add sugar, salt, coconut and butter, mix to combine.
- Press base mixture into prepared loaf tin.
- Bake base for 18-20 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Rest on tray for 5 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack.
- Make topping by combining all topping ingredients in a bowl, mix to combine.
- Spread topping over warm base and leave on wire rack to cool completely.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THIS RECIPE! – If you’ve tried this Chocolate Rough Slice recipe, please leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my newsletters with latest recipes or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
EASY TIP: Create HEAPS of freezable lunchbox snacks with my Lunch Box Recipes Cookbook.