A delicious banana yoghurt loaf cake recipe, which comes courtesy of a very special and long serving supporter of The Organised Housewife.
This recipe comes courtesy of Les, an avid follower of The Organised Housewife for many years now. This Banana Yoghurt Loaf Cake creation of his is so yummy, even his local cafe sold it to it’s patrons! Les puts the freshness of the cake down to the inclusion of greek yoghurt instead of oil or butter.
In haste I made this loaf in a square cake tin, but the recipe does suggest a loaf tin. I do feel after tasting the texture of the cake that it would be better suited as a loaf.
Overripe bananas are best for this recipe, but if you don’t have any, Les has a fabulous tip: “Did you know if you can’t buy rotten bananas you can bake them in the oven until the skin turns black – they’ll be perfect”.
If you prefer cakes without a lot of sugar, you can reduce the amount in this cake. Les cut the sugar down to 1/2 a cup in his cake, and was very happy with the result.
Les is regularly sharing his updates with us, and the whole team absolutely adore hearing from him! We are very sad to have missed him on his recent visit to QLD.
Banana Yoghurt Cake Recipe
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 3/4 cup Greek yoghurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 180°C, fan forced.
- Grease or line a loaf tin and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the banana, sugar, yogurt, eggs and vanilla, until smooth and creamy.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt and gently fold in until just combined. Don’t overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake loaf in oven for 40-45 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Rest in tray for 5 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely or serve warm.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THIS RECIPE! – If you’ve tried this Banana Yoghurt Loaf Cake recipe, please leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my newsletters with latest recipes or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK ,INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
GET ORGANISED: my Weekly Meal Planner + Shopping List will make sure you don’t forget any ingredients!