It appears the end of the year is getting closer and closer and I have to come to the reality that my 40th birthday is going to be here before I know it. I can’t believe I’m turning 4-0, I still feel like I am 20 in my head, but my body feels like it’s 30ish. I had several parties as a child and my hubby surprised me with a McDonalds party with some of my friends for my 18th (they were all still 17 so it was very tame), for my 21st I had a small gathering and every other birthday since has been celebrated with family over dinner or lunch in a park. I don’t usually like being the centre of attention so have appreciated it always being low key. But I feel I should put on a shin-dig for my 40th as we have family visiting from interstate… and why not have a day to celebrate all things about me LOL, I do deserve it, don’t I!!
So I set to Facebook recently and asked for ideas, I need all the help I can get. We are going away in December for a family holiday and I have a mountain of work on the blog to do before I leave. I would like to have this party all planned and organised before I go. I already know I don’t want to be cooking and cleaning on my birthday, so I am open to ideas!
So far I am thinking, throw a party at my place, pools open to all to swim in, tropical theme (pineapples, flamingo’s cause they make me smile), get everybody to bring a plate (cause I don’t want to cook), hire a daiquiri machine (yum!!). No dress ups, keeping it very casual.
These were some of the communities ideas or an adult’s birthday party:
- High tea
- Go on a holiday
- Themed party at home
- Spit roast party
- Party at home, catered finger food, chocolate fountain and cake
- Garden Party
- Live band (acoustic artist)
- Food truck
- Beer garden or Champagne bar
- Holiday with close friends and family
- Barefoot bowls and a jumping castle for adults
- Picnic or BBQ in the park
- Cocktails, seafood and salads
- 40 days of kindness leading up to my birthday
- Pot luck (everyone brings something) and a bon fire
- Tick something off your bucket list
- Hire a room, no food- just drinks and dancing
- Do something you love with the people you love – Spa, Meals out, theatre, high tea etc
- A day at the races
- Hot air balloon
- 80’s party music party and dress up
- By the pool with champagne
- 80’s theme with music, dress up comp, trivia night with 80’s pop culture questions and music quiz (guests working together in 3 teams, helped them get to know each other)
- Murder mystery organised by a party company – guests assigned a character to dress like
- Retro party
- PJ party
- Helicopter flight
- Bottle of vodka, block of chocolate and the control of the TV remote
- Hire a dance floor at home, with 70s, 80s and 90s music
- RAOK party. The invites asked each person, in lieu of a gift to undertake a random act of kindness for another person, write it down on the enclosed slip and that was their entry to the party. It was a great night discussing with guests what they had done and a great conversation starter to get guests talking if they didn’t know each other. The party itself was cocktail/finger food in a B&W theme.
- Great Gatsby theme
I have started a Pinterest Board already filled with some ideas.