A Mac ‘N Cheese recipe with pieces of crispy bacon and a topping of crunchy garlic bread – the perfect dish to cook up with the kids in the kitchen.
My children love to cook and have been making this Macaroni and Cheese with Bacon recipe for many years! Letting the kids help in the kitchen has taught them life lessons and skills from measuring and learning fractions to how to cook particular foods.
Typically mac and cheese is just that, macaroni and cheese sauce, but my kids love a little bacon flavour and crispy breadcrumbs which is how we ended up with this delicious recipe.
My youngest has has always loved pasta dishes and has been cooking this recipe since she was nine. I would stand with her and help when her arms got too tired to stir, but now that she’s 16 she cooks it for me all by herself.
I like getting the kids to read the recipe and tell me how much they need and see if they can determine the best method of measuring the ingredients themselves – cooking is a great way for children to learn.
The kids have always loved that they get their own personal ramekin of mac ‘n cheese to eat. It’s topped with a golden breadcrumb mixture that they absolutely love too!
Mac ‘N Cheese with Bacon
- 1 3/4 cups macaroni
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 short-cut bacon rashers, diced
- 45g butter
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 3 cups tasty cheese, grated
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 6 slices stale bread, crusts removed, torn into pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 180°C, fan forced.
- Cook macaroni following packet directions, drain and return to saucepan.
- In a small frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook bacon until browned, remove from pan and place onto a plate lined with paper towel.
- To make cheese sauce, melt butter in a medium sized saucepan over medium-high heat until foaming.
- Add flour, salt, mustard, pepper and paprika. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until mixture bubbles. Remove from heat.
- Gradually pour in milk. Whisk continuously until mixture is smooth.
- Return saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to the boil. Stir continuously for 5 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat. Add 2 cups cheese and stir until cheese melts.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the macaroni and add half the bacon. Toss to stir through.
- Spoon cheesy macaroni mix evenly into individual ramekins or a large 12-cup (3L) oven-proof dish.
- Sprinkle remaining bacon and cheese over each portion.
- To make breadcrumb topping, place garlic, parsley and bread into a food processor. Process until it turns into crumbs.
- Pour butter into food processor and pulse until mixed through.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs over pasta mixture.
- Bake in oven for 20-30 minutes or until golden. Serve.
By Kat – The Organised Housewife
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THIS RECIPE! – If you’ve tried this Mac ‘N Cheese with Bacon recipe, please leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my newsletters with the latest recipes or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.