I have packed countless lunchboxes in my time as a mum. Packing a lunchbox with a variety of food that the kids will enjoy can be a difficult task. I have always strived to create variety for my kids to ensure they eat what I pack them, as we all know that food is energy to get them through the day. We use Yumbox’s frequently, they are great for kids who like a good variety of food, it makes it simple for the kids to pick and choose what to eat. Although, I have been asked quite a few times recently for ideas on what to put in the little section of the kids Yumbox lunchboxes.
About the Yumbox range
The range of Yumbox lunchboxes helps to promote healthy eating:
- Balance and portion control – pre-portioned illustrated trays guide you to packing healthy and hassle-free lunches!
- Leakproof – Yumbox’s unique single lid seals all food wells individually. Food won’t touch or leak outside of the box. No plastic! No lost lids! No mess!
- Think green – reuse, reduce and save! Saves you money by eliminating the need for plastic zip bags, multiple containers or cling wrap. Looking after our environment by packing a waste-free lunch. All food safe materials, BPA-free and phthalates-free.
- Kid friendly – lightweight and compact with an easy-open latch. It fits neatly into a standard size thermal lunch bags making them ideal for toddlers, kids of all ages and adults for school, play and work.
- Educational and fun – turn your meals into a food adventure for you and your child. Offering a healthy variety of foods will instil good eating habits the fun way!
YUMBOX MINI – Like it’s larger family members (below) the Yumbox Mini’s unique single lid seals all food compartments individually so everything stays in its place. So you can pack wet foods like watermelon, yoghurt and dips. Available online here.
What’s in the box: with berries, yoghurt and pepitas in the small section.
YUMBOX ORIGINAL – The Yumbox Original is a 6 compartment leakproof bento lunch box. One of the most sought-after leakproof compartment lunchbox in Australia at the moment. This is the perfect lunchbox for a child that likes to nibble, have a bit of this and a bit of that. Available online here.
What’s in the box: mini quiche, rice wheels, yoghurt and blueberries, cucumber + carrot + cheese + cherry tomato, mini blueberry muffin and sultanas in the small section.
YUMBOX PANINO – The Yumbox Panino is a leakproof bento lunchbox is a fun lunchtime go-to for kids of all ages and adults. Pack a sandwich, salads, sides and delicious snacks, packed with nutrients to keep you or your child going through the day. This is suitable for the child that likes to graze on various foods at lunch. Available online here.
What’s in the box: salad bread roll, popcorn, fruit and cheese cubes in the small section.
YUMBOX TAPAS – The Yumbox Tapas is a larger lunchbox than the Yumbox Original and Panino. The Yumbox Tapas gives you the versatility of interchangeable trays, with either a 4 or 5 compartment tray. This larger Yumbox suits adults, teens and pre-teens, fitting more food than the original and panino. Available online here.
The Yumbox Tapas gives you the option to purchase the 2nd style compartment tray which will help you use the one lunchbox but pick a tray that suits the amount of food packed that particular day.
What’s in the box: sandwich, fruit, yoghurt and bliss ball in the small section.
Snack ideas for the small section of the yumbox lunch box
It is a small section that I usually fill up with dips, apricot bites or pumpkin and sunflower seeds with sultanas. But some kids can get ‘bored’ with the same foods so I put this list together to help you.
- yoghurt to dip fruit into
- yoghurt drops
- carrot cubes
- small veggie sticks
- bliss balls
- cream cheese
- vita gummies
- pumpkin seeds
- sunflower seeds
- tiny teddies
- cherry tomatoes
- mini ritz crackers
- mini choc chip cookies
- and not edible, but handy… a wet wipe.
FREE DOWNLOAD – SNACK LIST PRINTABLE
As I like to make busy mornings easier, such as packing lunches, I have put the list above together as a printable for you. Simply sign up to my newsletter to download my snack ideas for the small section of the Yumbox lunch box printable for free.
BENTO BOX PLANNER
Packing a lunchbox with a variety of food that the kids will enjoy can be a difficult task. This Bento Box Planner will help you create a balanced and nutritional lunchbox by visualising and planning what to place in each section before you go grocery shopping, ensuring you have everything you need in the fridge and pantry throughout the week.