A simple ‘Magic Reindeer Food’ treat bag idea that makes for an affordable Christmas gift, whilst also being a great way to spread Christmas cheer!
Magic Reindeer Food treat bags are an easy and inexpensive gift that the kids can give to their school and kindy friends at the end of the year. It’s easy to spread the Christmas spirit with this adorable little treat. My kids used to (because they are now non-believers) sprinkle their reindeer food on the lawn at Christmas Eve every year so the reindeers had something scrumptious to eat. It’s a cute and simple way to keep the magic of Christmas alive.
The printable Magic Reindeer Food Bag Topper is designed to fit over a little 10cm cello bags which can be found at most discount stores or in the party section at the grocery and department stores. There are four printable bag toppers per one A4 sheet of paper, and the topper also has a cute little poem on the back:
Sprinkle magic reindeer food outside at night, the moon will make it sparkle bright, as Santa’s reindeer fly and roam, this will guide them to your home!
There is also a space for you to pencil in who the bag is for and who it is from.
Instead of using glitter in my reindeer food I prefer to use sugar and coconut, as glitter can be harmful to wildlife.
HOW TO MAKE REINDEER FOOD
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Cellophane bags (I found 50 of these for $2 at my local dollar store or alternatively you can check the party section at your local supermarket)
- Rolled oats
- Shredded coconut (you can also use desiccated coconut)
- Red food dye
- Green food dye
- Reindeer Food Bag Toppers
This really depends on how much you are wanting to make. I like to make a ratio similar to 1 cup of oats to 1/4 cup coconut and 1/4 cup sugar. Again, it depends on how much you want to add inside each bag. I usually add 1/4 cup to each bag.
HOW TO MAKE REINDEER FOOD:
1. Add green food colouring to sugar and red food colouring to coconut, then mix. You will only need a drop or two in each to colour it.
2. Combine the rolled oats, coconut and sugar, then mix.
3. Spoon the mixture into cellophane bags and staple a Magic Reindeer Food Bag Topper on top of the cellophane bag.
This is such a special and fun thing to make with the kids. I hope you enjoy this little tradition as much as I did when my kids were younger.