From the archives
I enjoy giving a gift to friends and loved ones, however I find myself asking:
- What do I get Dad or Uncle, he has everything??
- How am I going to find the time to buy for everybody in the family??
- I have a limited budget, it’s hard to buy a gift for each person.
Do you ask yourself the same questions? Do you have a big family and the gift giving process overwhelms you. Consider these gift exchanging ideas for mum, dad, brothers, sisters, brother in-laws, sister in-laws, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, friends…..
Gift swap – Each member of the family drawers a name from the hat. You buy one gift only for the person you picked. Dedicate an amount to spend. If you live away from each other, one family member can draw names for each person.
Secret Santa – Draw one name from hat. Leave the name you choose secret. Place the gift under the tree with only the name tag of the recipient.
Themed gifts – Dedicate each year to a different theme. Themes could be:
- For the shed
- For the kitchen
- Exotic coffee
- Be creative, 5 senses, 1 for each year – Taste: something yummy, Smell: Perfume, Hear: CD, Touch: anything really and See: Artwork
- Choose a letter from the Alphabet. Has to be something starting with A
Handmade gifts – All gifts given must be handmade, ideas include:
- Cookbook of favourite recipes
- photo book of the family
- a scrapbook
- simple quilt
- craft etc
White Elephant – Set a limit say $10, find a funny gag gift. It’s great to hear the laughter. You could draw names from a hat, or buy a gift for each person.
Vouchers – Dedicate an amount. Each person is to buy a gift voucher for a shop of their choosing. All vouchers go into a bowl and one at a time each is drawn. Shops can include:
- Homeware Stores
- Video Game store
- Lingerie store
- Music Stores
- Movie Theatre
- Football Events
- Car wash
- Create your own voucher to mow lawns 5 times through the year or babysitting…the list is endless.
Board games – Each member to buy 1 board game, wrap and one person at a time randomly picks a gift.