Two of my kids have dust mite allergies. They both suffer from it differently; my son’s symptom is an itchy nose, but my daughter gets itchy eyes. It’s important I keep their linens and mattress clean and take some preventive measures to eliminate dust mites. It’s not uncommon to find dust mites in the cleanest of homes and surprisingly they don’t just hide in dust.
Dust mites are microscopic, virtually invisible insects. They live on animal and human skin scales and thrive in warm temperatures and high humidity. Their droppings contain a protein-like substance which is known to trigger asthma, eczema and other allergies. Scary fact ~ there can be up to 10,000 of these little insects per square meter in an average home (I shudder at the thought).
Dust mites like to hide in places like:
- Soft teddies
- Sheepskin/ woollen underlays
- Floor rugs
A little gross right!! So this is why it’s important that I keep all their mattresses fresh and clean. In the past I have used Bosisto’s Dust Mite Spray which has been great, however now I am using my own natural DIY Mattress Spray.
To naturally deter dust mites from mattresses, to reduce dust mites and keep the mattress fresh.
- Remove all linens from the bed and wash. I add a few drops of Tea Tree Essential Oil to the wash.
- If possible, open the windows in the room to let in the fresh air.
- While the linens are being washed, spray the DIY mattress spray onto the bed. This will absorb odours, help deter dust mites and leave the mattress smelling fresh.
- Leave the mattress as long as you can to absorb the spray and air dry. I like to leave mine for a few hours.
- Vacuum the top and sides of the mattress to remove dust, dirt, dust mites, dead skin cells, hair etc.
The ingredients I use in my Natural DIY Mattress Spray
This is my natural DIY Mattress Spray; so easy to put together and being that I love essential oils I have everything to make this recipe here at home. The essential oils I use are common oils I use frequently, more details below. I love this recipe as it uses all natural ingredients, and please don’t be deterred by the vinegar, the smell will disappear very quickly.
SPRAY BOTTLE – these can be found at chemists, hairdresser supply shops, Kmart or most grocery stores.
VINEGAR – mild natural disinfectant and helps deodorise fabrics.
EUCALYPTUS ESSENTIAL OIL – has purifying properties that can be beneficial for the skin and for cleansing surfaces and the air.
LAVENDER ESSENTIAL OIL – is well known for its natural antibacterial properties and I also like to use it in the mattress spray to promote peaceful sleep.
PEPPERMINT ESSENTIAL OIL – repels bugs naturally
I made your mattress spray yesterday, as I have a toddler and preschooler who have had accidents while toilet training and OMG I was amazed!! It absorbed all the odour and left their mattresses smelling lovely! Thank you
Natural DIY Mattress SprayPrint This
YOU WILL NEED
- 500ml spray bottle (approx doesn't need to be exact ml)
- 1 cup cooled boiled water
- 1 cup vinegar
- 8 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 8 drops lavender essential oil
- 8 drops peppermint essential oil
- Pour water and vinegar into spray bottle.
- Add essential oils.
- Shake bottle to combine.
- Spray Natural DIY Mattress Spray direct onto the mattress and allow to sit for a few hours.
Remember to shake the bottle before each use.
HOW TO BUY ESSENTIAL OILS
PURCHASE WHOLESALE 25% OFF – Create a wholesale account. There’s no minimum spend and there’s never any obligation to make another purchase if you don’t want to. You do NOT need to place an order every month or on-sell to friends or family, you simply get to save 25%. Click here to get 25% off.
PURCHASE FROM MY SHOP – Some of these oils are available in my shop here.