In a busy household, the microwave can get messy quickly. Here are my tips for a natural and budget-friendly way to clean the microwave.
Ever opened the microwave after someone has heated up soup? What a mess, right?! Even when you’re careful to cover your food, the microwave can get messy and smelly throughout the day.
Here’s how I clean the microwave using DIY cleaners and also sharing general household cleaning product alternatives.
Alternatively, replace the white vinegar with a lemon cut into quarters.
steps to clean the microwave
- Fill a microwave-safe jug with 1 cup water and 2 tablespoons vinegar.
- Place the jug in the microwave and turn microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- Let sit for 5 minutes to allow the steam to loosen any food residue stuck on the walls of the microwave.
- Open the door and remove the jug (pour down the kitchen sink to freshen the drains).
- Wipe the inside walls and turntable with a sponge.
- Wipe along the keypad and front of the door to finish.
Clean the inside of the microwave, following the quick clean steps above.
Fill the kitchen sink with warm soapy water.
Remove the glass turntable and place it in the sink to soak.
Unplug and remove the microwave from the shelf.
Wipe the electrical cord with a dry cloth, removing all dust particles.
Dip the cloth in water, rinse and wring out. Use the cloth to clean the exterior of the microwave.
Use a mini brush to remove any crumbs or build-up in cracks or crevices.
Clean the shelf with spray or wipes to remove dust and crumbs. Return the microwave to shelf.
Clean the turntable, dry and place it back into the microwave.
Weekly – quick clean
Monthly – deep clean