Curtains get dirty very easily. Whilst they may look clean they collect dirt and dust coming through the windows, oils and dirty hands, and absorb smells from around the home such as pets and cooking aromas, which over times leaves them less than clean and fresh.
How to Clean Curtains
- Please check for washing instructions.
- Carefully remove from rods.
- Remove any hooks.
- Handwash – use cold water and mild detergent, wash each drape separately, using the laundry tub or bathtub; or
- Gentle machine wash – use cold or warm water, follow instructions on tag, use mild detergent, don’t overload washer this will cause creases.
- Dry – hang on line face the back of the curtain to the sun to prevent sun damage, or tumble dry using a short delicate cycle.
- Remove heavy fabrics from washing while slightly damp, this will prevent a lot of creases. If there are alot of creases you can iron them out, however, they will fall out within a week or so. Iron on the reverse side.
- Hang curtains back up.
- When drawing curtains daily give them a shake, this will remove some dust.
- Vacuum curtains and blinds during your regular cleaning routine, using a soft brush attachment
How to Clean blinds
Vacuum using the small brush attachment or use a handheld duster to remove dust. Don’t use water this will cause swelling and stain.
To clean horizontal blinds use cotton gloves or a sock over your hand to wipe over each slat, or alternatively, you can dust and clean blinds with this trendy Mini Blind Duster (which is now available in my shop here).