Essential oils make an amazing antibacterial cleaning option, but these three essential oils are particularly perfect for chemical-free cleaning.
Essential Oils are one of nature’s best antibacterial options for homemade cleaning recipes. I like using essential oils in my homemade cleaning products to reduce the number of chemicals used in the home and because they smell good too! Not only can they disinfect, purify, and remove stains, but they make the house smell fabulously fresh too.
Some essential oils work better for cleaning than others. Here are my favourite three essential oils for chemical-free cleaning, that will not only give your products a beautiful aroma, they’ll also improve the cleansing properties of your homemade products.
1. GRAPEFRUIT ESSENTIAL OIL
Grapefruit essential oil is one of my favourite smells, so I include it in all my cleaners because it makes my house smell amazing – obviously, this is not the only reason! Grapefruit essential oil also has potent antimicrobial and antibacterial properties, making it a very effective cleaning ingredient.
- Add a few drops of grapefruit essential oil to your Reusable Homemade Antibacterial Wipes.
- Combine with lavender and lemon essential oils to make a Natural Homemade Fridge Cleaner (I definitely don’t like the idea of using chemicals to clean near my food).
- Read more benefits and remedies of grapefruit essential oil here.
2. LEMON ESSENTIAL OIL
Lemon essential oil has multiple benefits and uses. Lemon is a powerful cleansing agent that purifies the air and surfaces and can be used as a non-toxic cleaner throughout the home.
- Steam clean microwave – fill a bowl with water, add 4 drops of lemon essential oil, microwave on high for 5 minutes, then wipe over with a cloth.
- Furniture polish – simply add a few drops to olive oil to clean, protect, and shine wood finishes.
- Use a cloth soaked in lemon oil to preserve and protect your leather furniture and other leather surfaces or garments.
- Lemon oil is a great remedy for the early stages of tarnish on silver and other metals.
- Natural mould cleaner – 1 cup vinegar, 15 drops lemon essential oil, and 15 drops tea tree essential oil. Do not rinse off the mixture, allow it to work away at the mould.
- Keep spiders and bugs off ceiling cornices – wrap a cloth around the head of a broom, add a couple of drops of lemon oil onto the cloth. Use the broom head to clean away the cobwebs, wiping over the cornices to leave behind the lemon oil to deter them from returning.
- Fridge cleaner – view my recipe here.
3. LAVENDER ESSENTIAL OIL
Lavender essential oil is best known for its relaxing and calming properties that promote sleep and ease feelings of tension (headaches) and anxiety, but it’s also a valuable oil to have on hand for cleaning because of its natural antibacterial properties.
- Add a few drops of Lavender Essential Oil onto cotton balls and place in drawers, bins, closets or cupboards to deodorise and repel moths, plus keep your clothes smelling fresh.
- One of my favourite uses for lavender oil is in my homemade antibacterial cleaning wipes.
- Rub onto lightbulbs – in the daylight hours when the light bulbs are off and cool, place a few drops onto a cloth and wipe over your lightbulbs to help repel insects.
DIY HOMEMADE CLEANING RECIPES EBOOK
This 28 page eBook includes practical Homemade Cleaning Recipes that you can make at home yourself, using products you more than likely already have in your pantry. There are recipes for cleaning the kitchen, bathroom, floors, carpets, and more. Save money and reduce chemicals and toxins in your home by making your own cleaning products.
Available as an instant download from my shop here.
WHAT OTHER OILS CAN I CLEAN WITH?
These three essential oils are by no means the only essential oils that can be used for chemical-free cleaning in your home. My DIY Homemade Cleaning Recipes eBook explores more essential oils and how these can be best utilised to keep your home spick and span. To view the complete range of essential oils available in The Organised Housewife Shop, head here.
WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE ESSENTIAL OIL FOR CLEANING?
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Pin this image below to Pinterest!