It’s week 16 of my Declutter 52 Things in 52 Weeks Challenge. If you haven’t signed up yet, join me today as I help you remove all those things in your home you no longer need or use.
The entrance to my house sets the tone for me when I get home. A messy doorway or garage puts me in a bit of a funk – even if the rest of the house is tidy. This week’s declutter task looks to fix all that, by addressing the one thing that seems to continuously grow in our household, and which often congregates itself around the entranceway – shoes!
With the winter months nearly upon us, it’s the perfect time to go through all your shoes and purge the ones you didn’t wear over the warmer months.
The Declutter 52 things in 52 Week Challenge is completely FREE!! I publish new task on the blog each Wednesday. Sign up to my daily emails so you don’t miss when the next tasks is live. Alternatively, visit the blog each Wednesday to see the latest task.
Please share a photo of your space each week on Instagram using hashtag #declutter52 and tag @theorganisedhousewife
Decluttering Task #16
There are 5 of us in my family, and 3 of us are females, so it’s safe to say that we have a lot of shoes! We don’t wear shoes in our home either (I recommend this if you’re wanting to cut back on how often you vacuum and mop!), so all our shoes are kept in the garage… and we are running out of space quickly!
SHOP THESE SHOES HERE: JACKiE II White/Silver
TODAY’S TASK: PURGE AS MANY
Note: My definition of purge – sell, donate, repurpose or throw away items as you see fit
- Sort through all the shoes in the house: the kid’s, your partner’s, your’s… everybody’s!
- If you keep all the families shoes together, when you remove them from the shelf or pile, group each person’s shoes together.
- Purge those that no longer fit.
- Really consider those that have not been worn for some time. Do you really need to hold onto them? Are you not wearing them for a reason? Perhaps you don’t like the style or they hurt too much when worn?
- Tidily return all the shoes you know will be worn back into your storage.
- Consider whether your shoe storage is working for you?
Here’s how we keep our shoes organised. This shoe storage rack was super easy to construct. The kids and I sat down in the garage and built it together. It’s lightweight and was easy to put together.
SHOE RACK: Shoe Storage System is available online here – it’s super cheap, only $26 (currently on sale 10% off)
Do you find your shoes get a little smelly over winter, here’s a great DIY shoe spray to help eliminate the odours.
READ MORE: Homemade Shoe Spray