Has your bedroom become cluttered and a bit blah? Here are some tips to freshen up your bedroom and enjoy a fresh space that you’re happy to wake up in each day.
A clutter-free environment is crucial for when I want to have a clutter-free mind. This is why I like to set the right tone from the moment I open my eyes. My bedside table and the rest of the bedroom is the first thing I see when I wake up (or if I’m lying the other way it’s my husbands), so I like to keep it tidy. If I see clutter first thing in the morning I start the day grumpy (similar to how I feel when I see a messy kitchen) – and that’s no fun for anyone.
Whilst I don’t keep much on my bedside table, what I do keep has a purpose and a place. My bedroom too is quite minimal. I have the bed, bedside tables, a credenza, a chair and try to keep the decor light and fresh.
Let me help you wake to a calm clutter-free space too.
ORGANISING THE BEDROOM
Look around your bedroom and see the different areas of clutter, how you can organise it better and how you can make your bedroom a place to relax and recharge.
- Tidy clutter, putting it neatly away into a cupboard or drawer or purge it if you haven’t used it in over 12 months.
- Update your sheets, quilt cover and/or cushions.
- Tidy your bedside table.
- Organise your jewellery.
- Put blankets you don’t use into the linen cupboard.
- Diffuse a new scent in the bedroom.
- Create a designated area for clothes that you have worn and want to wear again (rather than going onto the floor).
- Decorate your wall with a new photo or painting.
CLEARING AWAY THE CLUTTER
Rather than cleaning the bedroom, let’s just concentrate on clearing away the clutter step by step and making it a space you enjoy waking up to.
- Have a good look at your bedside table, as well as in the drawers. See which solutions aren’t working.
- Remove everthing form the bedside table and drawers, grouping like items together.
- Determine what items you haven’t used in over 12 months and consider purging them.
- Give your bedside table a thorough clean, removing any dust or water glass marks.
- Add any new and/or your current storage products in your drawers to help you keep it organised.
- Place items back in a tidy and organised manner.
Update your bedding
- Update your sheets, quilt cover, pillows and/or decorative cushions.
- Determine which parts of your bedding need to be updated and which parts can continue to be used.
- Make sure your pillow provides you with comfort and support.
- Some people need cotton or bamboo to sleep on due to being hot sleepers. the wrong bedding can cause body temperatures to rise and it takes the body a long time to cool the body which in turn causes an uncomfortable sleep. My Absolutely Favourite Sheets – I try and test everything at Organised HQ. I was sent these 100% bamboo sheets to trial… and I have to tell you I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM. I thought I had reasonably nice sheets before, but these, are like I am sleeping on a cloud. And… as I am aging and let’s be honest getting night sweats, these just make my nights sleep really comfortable and cool. I have switched out all my sheets for these now.
store excess bedding in linen closet
Some people like to keep extra bedding and towels in their bedroom but I think it creates too much clutter. Put away all your excess bed sheets, doona covers and blankets into your linen closet, however if you do need to store it in your bedroom, store it into storage containers which are clearly labelled to make it easier to find.
Organise your Jewellery
Necklaces and bracelets can become tangled and other small jewellery can get lost in boxes and bags. Go through your jewellery collection and purge or giveaway what you don’t like or wear anymore. With this elegant jewellery stand, she can organise and store her jewellery and be able to see everything. The jewellery stand comes in a brass colour and a dark silver colour to match any aesthetic in your bedroom.
Add a reflection journal
A great habit to get into is writing in a daily journal, reflecting on the good and bad, the wins, the challenges and being able to look back and see how you’ve grown, the things in your life that worked and those that didn’t. This is my 5 year memory reflection book, it is a beautiful way to journal and easily look back on the previous year. A cute addition to your bedside table and a daily reminder to show gratitude.