Quick and simple nut and egg free school lunchbox ideas the kids will love, as suggested by the Organised Housewife community!
One of our community members, Jane Gill asked for some lunchbox ideas because her childs’ school was an egg and nut free school. Our wonderful community offered suggestions to help Jane. You may want to use some of these suggestions for your child’s lunchbox!
Allison Doyle suggested vegan alternatives which are available in all the big stores that would fit the bill. Allisons child chooses:
- Hummus (you can get nut free ones too if you need) and veggies sticks
- Dairy free/egg free cookies
- Dairy free cheeses and spreads
- There is a vegan Nutella as well which would suit
- Wraps are a popular choice here too
- Green and red salad
- Fruit salad years ago kids took jelly with fruit set in it
Sarah Lou knows a child so severely anaphylactic to eggs nuts and dairy they could die very quickly so if there is a child like this in this class this would be the reason. Sarah’s suggestions are:
- Vegemite / Jam / nut free peanut butter (Wowbutter) or nut free alternative to Nutella
- Veggie sticks with hummus
- Dairy free yoghurt – there are some really yummy ones!
- Lots of amazing vegan muffins and slices online
Erin R. Harrison-Smith suggested:
- Salad sandwich with hummus
- Scrambled tofu and lettuce sandwich
- Roasted chickpeas instead of nuts
- Wowbutter sandwich
- Coconut yoghurt and granola or fruit
- Chia pudding
- Fruit smoothie
- Roast vegetable or rice and vegetable salad
- Pasta salad (you can buy really cheap dairy and egg free mayonnaise, as well as dairy alternatives for cheese and yoghurt). I’d check out a dairy free, egg free, nut free cookbook from your library, there’s a lot of creative ideas out there.
Samantha Yurisich suggested snack ideas:
- Homemade banana bread (no eggs)
- Banana pikelets (mashed banana/coconut yoghurt/oat flour)
- Lunch – chicken/avo sandwich/wraps
- 2 ingredients pizza (dairy free yoghurt, sr flour) dairy free cheese.
Liz Fogg suggested snack such as:
- Carrot and cucumber sticks and a container of dip dolmades
- Ham and avocado sandwich
- chicken and salad wrap
- carrot cake muffins made with pepitas and sunflower seeds instead of nuts and excluding eggs
There are some great ideas here for you to choose from. What egg and nut free ideas do you have?
Allergy & Anaphylaxis Australia (A&AA) does not promote nut/food bans for many reasons. In saying this, we do encourage allergen minimisation in younger years of primary school (sending a note home to a class where there is a young child with a food allergy and asking that particular foods are not brought in but never presuming they won’t be – the class must have strategies in place/a procedure for when it does come in because it will, either intentionally or unintentionally). For more information on food bans in Australian school please go to – allergyfacts.org.au